Finding a Coleman folding camper isn't as simple as visiting your nearest RV dealer and making a purchase. That's because pop up campers bearing the Coleman name haven't been manufactured for several years. You can still find previously-owned units for sale, but it'll take a bit of time and effort on your part.
Places to Look for Coleman Pop Up Campers
When you're in the market for an RV that is no longer made, the logical place to start looking is a website where people post these types of items for sale.
Classified Ad Sites
While you may get lucky and find the exact used camper you are looking for on Craigslist or a local classified ad site, chances are, you'll need to look beyond your local area. Sites with extensive nationwide listings of used RVs for sale are your best bet for finding a Coleman folding camping trailer that meets your needs. Two of the best sites to use are:
- RVTrader: The RVTrader website is a great place to look for Coleman pop ups that are for sale, with units available from private sellers and dealers. You can refine your search to be as general or as specific as you like. For example, you can run a nationwide search or search within a specific radius of any zip code. You can also limit your search by specific models, year, length and more.
- Oodle Marketplace: The Oodle Marketplace has a very active RV section where you can typically find quite a few postings advertising Coleman folding trailers for sale from both dealers and individuals. Like RVTrader, you can adjust the specificity of the search. For example, you can search by country or by city, state and zip code. You can also narrow your selection by year and color, but not length. You can even limit your search to show you only listings that have photos.
RV dealers typically have some used campers in stock, so you may be able to find a Coleman tent trailer at one of them. Set aside some time to visit dealers within a reasonable distance of where you are located and/or calling to find out what they have in stock. Note that dealer websites aren't typically updated in real time as used units come in, so they may have items available that you can't see online. Even if the dealers you contact don't have what you need now, let them know what you are looking for. You may find that they're willing to call you if a unit comes in that meets your needs.
- Local RV dealers: Even though there are no brand new Coleman pop ups, dealers that carry previously-owned inventory may provide good options for finding a second-hand unit. You are most likely to find this kind of used unit available at dealers that sell pop up models as their customers may sometimes trade in older Coleman models for newer units. Check with the RV dealers in your area - or the region where you are willing to travel - to see what is available.
- Specialty RV dealers: Some RV dealers focus very heavily on used RV sales, and so have websites where they list extensive selections of previously owned units available for sale. For example, Beckley's Camper Center, which is one of the top resources for purchasing parts for Coleman pop up RVs, operates a website called Used RVs for Sale. They are based in Maryland and have an impressive inventory of Coleman folding trailers. If you are willing to travel to make your purchase, this can be a good option to consider.
RV owners sometimes list campers for sale in threads on relevant forums, and it is also possible to post "wanted" ads on these types of sites. Forums that appeal to pop up camping enthusiasts can provide a great way to source hard-to-find units (which can definitely be the case with Coleman pop ups) available for sale. A few to consider include:
- PopUpPortal.com: It's free to join and participate in this active forum frequented by people who enjoy camping in pop up trailers. There are a number of discussion topic threads, including one dedicated specifically to classified ads. Participants can list things that are for sale as well as items wanted. The listings are cleaned out each month, so you don't have to worry about digging through very old listings.
- RVForum.net: This active forum is free to participate in and has a thread specifically for items for sale and items wanted postings. Only private sellers are allowed to participate (i.e., no dealers). Postings stay on the site for more than a month, but you can easily sort by "last date" to keep the most recent announcements showing first. Each post is clearly marked with the date it was added to the site.
Note that not all forums allow for sale and wanted ads. These two do, but if you are considering venturing into additional forums as well, verify that what you are doing is consistent with the site's policies. Always read the terms of service before you start participating in a forum.
Beginning Your Search
As you get started on your search for a Coleman folding travel trailer, it's easy to feel a little overwhelmed. However, if you have your heart set on this particular brand, the time you spend searching will be well worth the payoff when you find your dream camper. Keep in mind, though, that plenty of other companies make quality pop up campers. If you're having trouble finding what you need - or are concerned about parts availability - you may want to consider a different brand that is still producing pop ups RVs.